Elderly people are being duped into buying a device billed as an “energy-saving box”, which has been found to be dangerous, according to an article published by BBC News.
So far, Trading Standards has stated that they have had more than 200 complaints.
These calls are thought to be made from overseas.
However, officials have stated that the device – priced at £99 – is dangerous and could potentially cause both fire and electrocution.
Chief executive of the Trading Standards Institute, Ron Gainsford commented on the device.
He said: “We have had a number of the items tested which not only failed to satisfy electrical safety standards but do not deliver any tangible energy savings.”
Sue Jones of Westminster trading standards also spoke about the issue, stating: “Often consumers do not realise that they have been defrauded until they receive the dodgy looking device with instructions in broken English and the accompanying invoice which names an unknown supplier and often gives an American address.”
Latest gas and electricity news brought to you by UK Power – the energy price comparison site.